Latest posts by Jennifer Long (see all)
- Making Decisions Today for PEACE of MIND Tomorrow - June 21, 2016
- ‘Joy in the journey: Quality of life palliative care’s purpose’ by Knoxville News Sentinel - October 21, 2015
- Headaches: most everyone gets them, but when they come frequently or are severe, consult your IMA physician - August 21, 2012
Advance Directives are written, legal instructions stating your preferences for medical care if you are unable to make decisions for yourself. Advance directives aren’t just for older adults. Unexpected, end-of-life situations can happen at any age, so it’s important for all adults to be prepared. Even if you are in good health now, making healthcare plans for the future is an important step to assure you get the medical care you want.
Why is it important to complete an advance directive?
- It gives you and your loved ones peace of mind.
- It helps prevent questions, confusion and disagreements among family members.
- It advises healthcare providers what you want if you are unable to speak for yourself.
What treatment decisions do advance directives include?
- Use of dialysis and breathing machines
- Use of resuscitation if your breathing or heartbeat stops
- Use of tube feeding
- Organ or tissue donation
Summit Medical Group has partnered with Tennova Healthcare to offer workshops that will walk you through the process of completing your advance directives. Workshop locations, dates and times are listed below:
- North Knoxville Medical Center – Sister Elizabeth Room
- October 13th, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Physicians Regional Medical Center – Emerald Room
- August 11th, 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Turkey Creek Medical Center – Classroom #1
- July 14th, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- November 8th, 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Jefferson Memorial Hospital – Main Classroom
- July 19th, 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
- Lafollette Medical Center – Executive Conference Room
- September 12th, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Newport Medical Center – Board Room
- September 14th, 10:00 – 12:00 noon
These workshops allow you to complete your advance directives with the help of an expert. For more information or to RSVP for a workshop, contact: Tennova Healthcare at 1-855-TENNOVA.